So last week I joined the team from Come Wine With Us, who partnered up with the Nederberg Heritage Heroes range of wines and Savour Restaurant at the 15 On Orange Hotel to celebrate Heritage month. On the cards for the evening was an extra special food & wine pairing created to celebrate our very unique and extra special South African heritage.Just as a bit of background about Nederburg’s Heritage Heroes range: Winemaker, Razvan Macici decided to create a selection of individually named, limited-edition, gourmet wines to honour some of the major figures in South African winemaking who have been a source of inspiration to him. The range consists of 5 wines:
- The Brew Master: A Bordeaux style blend named after brew master, Johann Graue.
- The Motorcycle Marvel: A Rhône style blend named after winemaker & cellarmaster Günter Brózel who used to get around on a 250cc BSA motorcycle.
- The Young Airhawk: A wooded Sauvignon Blanch which pays tribute to Johann Graue’s son and winemaker, Arnold, who died tragically at the age 0f 29 in a light aircraft crash.
- The Anchorman: A wooded Chenin Blanc named after Nedberburg’s founder, Philippus Wolvaart.
- The Beautiful Lady: A Gewürztraminer named after Ilse Graue, wife of Johann Graue.
What makes these wines extra special is that you won’t just find them anywhere… They’re only available through certain speciality wine shops, and you may also spot them on a restaurant menu if you’re lucky.
To read more about these wines, do hop on over here.
Now let’s talk about the food. I really have to give Savour’s Executive Chef, Sanel Esterhuyse, a very BIG shout out for her incredibly imaginative menu. She brought back so many great childhood memories that I was smiling from ear-to-ear with every single bite. Her SA Heritage inspired menu involved old classics that had been given an all new twist and this is how it all went down:
- Canapés: “Forage Food” – Oysters with samphire & cucumber jelly and grilled asparagus with suuring mayonnaise (Paired with The Young Airhawk)
- Amuse: Malay snoek bobotie & pickled fish + Apricot jam & mosbolletjies (Paired with The Anchorman)
- Starter: Smoked springbok carpaccio, pickled water blommetjie, pap fritter and wild cress salad (Paired with The Motorcycle Marvel)
- Palate cleaner: Fresh fruit “bunny-licks”
- Main Course: Lamb cutlet, braised shoulder & skilpadjies + Butternut puree, umfino with samp and bean croquette (Paired with The Brew Master)
- Dessert: Deep-fried koeksister, milk tart parfait, honey bush tea jelly, Van Der Hum and condense milk caramel, “pampoen koekie” doughnut, “canned pineapple” & soet koekie crumb (Paired with The Beautiful Lady)
Ooh and then I also have to say a big thanks to Nederburg & Come Wine With Us for the bottle of The Brew Master that I won. (woohoo!) I cuddled up to it all night long until it found a very special place in my wine rack the next morning 😉This was unfortunately the last Come Wine With Us event of the year. BUT, they’ll be back in 2015 with lots more exciting things up their sleeves. To make sure you don’t miss out, keep an eye on the following:
And then hopefully I’ll see you guys at the next one.