Most of you should know the River club over in Observatory. Maybe you’ve been there for a round of golf, a special event, a bit of comedy (as Jou Ma Se Comedy Club’s previous home), or something to eat… Possibly you would’ve also noticed that it had gotten a bit rundown over the last few years and really was in desperate need of some TLC.
Well the great news is that new ownership has breathed new life into this Cape Town landmark. Visitors can expect to see fresh new interiors, a smart black & white exterior, ample contemporary conferencing spaces, an extended golf offering as well as a new restaurant and kids club.
Jody Aufrichtig and Nick Ferguson make up the team behind this revitalisation project. These guys were also responsible for The Old Biscuit Mill and The Woodstock Exchange, so they definitely know a thing or two about transforming an old space into something that meets our modern expectations.
Here’s a breakdown of the new features:
- On the conferencing side, they’ve gone more upscale with subtle, earth-inspired interiors. There are 8 rooms of various sizes available, all fitted with the latest AV tech. These conference rooms are perfect for anything from board meetings to banquets and special celebrations.
- For the golf lovers, the 90 bay driving range, putting facilities, chipping green, as well as the nine-hole, 27 par Mashie Course have all been retained and reinvested in. But to ensure a more pleasant golfing experience overall, they’ve also refreshed the changing rooms as well as the Pro Shop and re-fitted 27 weather cover bays. Monthly memberships start at around R230 per month and there’s also a sexy Audi A1 up for grabs. Simply purchase your premium ball for a shot at this hole-in-one prize.
- For those with little ones, there’s the all new River Rascals Club. This indoor and outdoor supervised play area welcomes all children aged 3 and up. (members and restaurant patrons will enjoy this service for free)
- And then for those wanting to grab a bite to eat, the new Slug & Lettuce café serves up breakfasts, lunch & dinner with snacks in between. The adjacent bar is ideal for a few drinks after your round of golf, or to catch a game on their big screen. Then there’ll also be ongoing weekly specials and events such as live comedy, so keep an eye out for that as well.
Now let’s have a look at what it all looks like (all photos courtesy of The River Club):Looks good, no? I’d say next time you’re in the area, do pop in and have a look around. I’m sure you’ll find a good reason to linger longer…
Here are all the need-to-knows:
- You’ll find the River Club here: Liesbeek Parkway, Observatory, Cape Town
- You can contact them on: 021 448 6117 or email@example.com
- Bonus feature: There’s lots of secure, free parking available
To the team behind this refurbishment, I give a big round of high 5s. 🙂