You may know Station on Bree as the London Underground themed night spot on Bree Street – great for those big nights out when you’re keen for a good party, but have you ever considered also popping in for a meal?
I, for one, did not… But that has changed thanks to a little lunch invite to try out their summer menu which launched at the end of last year.
With that tempting invitation on the table (so to speak) my friend Tatum and I popped in just over a week ago on a beautiful, sunny Saturday, settling in at a cute table outside with a great people-watching view.
Their outside seating is well positioned under leafy trees, so you get enough shade while still enjoying a bit of sunshine. That said, inside is definitely worth a look, particularly if it’s your first visit, because well… It’s just pretty damn cool.
Let me show you around:
They describe their food style as “unpretentious street food, casual & Mediterranean-infused”, and you know what? I really don’t think I could’ve described it any better myself…
The menu features a nice variety of small plates, a selection of “spruced fries”, burgers, salads, casual classics like a grilled Cuban sandwich and a gourmet American hot dog, and then big plates like 200g sirloin steak, fish & chips, sirloin peri-peri cubes & chicken Kiev.Tatum and I decided to pick a small plate each followed by a burger which we could share. Tatum went for the peri-peri chicken livers (R45): I went for the crisp salt & pepper calamari (R65): And then we followed that up with their Big Ben burger (R105) with bacon, cheese & caramelised smoky BBQ onions: So yeah, overall a great meal in a cool setting with friendly service and good prices. What’s not to love?
Other notable mentions:
- Over and above their wine list and range of local beers on tap, they also have a Build-A-Gin menu where you can create your own gin based work of art in 3 easy steps:
1) Choose your gin (and you can choose from an extensive selection of local & international gins)
2) Choose your tonic (they have 4 to choose from)
3) Choose your complement (think everything from grape fruit, cucumber, mint, basil & thyme to chili, rhubarb, aloe, fynbos & apple green)
- Every Thursday throughout summer it’s the Thursday Reveal at The Station on Bree hosted by local talent and internationally renowned DJ, saxophonist and percussion specialist, George Sax. The line-up features an array of performers that showcases the best of what Africa has to offer. So if you’re looking for some sexy live entertainment, head on over there.
I’m going to give Station on Bree on my Miss K Kiss-o-Meter scale & recommend that you definitely pay them a visit.
Sound good? Then take note of the following:
- You’ll find them here: 207 Bree Street, Cape Town City Centre
- You can contact them on: 021 422 0944 or email@example.com
- And they are open: Tuesdays to Sundays, 11h00 till late