Last Friday evening I went to watch Gate69‘s new production, The Three Little Pigs. Described as an “adult panto”, this version of the popular children’s fairy tale is definitely not suited for the little ones, but will have the adults laughing from ear-to-ear from beginning to end. (Well that’s certainly what I experienced)
Gate69 “Trollie Dollie” & your hostess with the mostest, Cathy Specific, has the following to say about the real story of those 3 little pigs: “You don’t know the half of it – whomever wrote this menacing little folktale likely had his Victorian blinders on and skipped the juicy details, as usual.”
And I agree! I mean who knew that those naughty little piggies were in fact three boys with a penchant for dressing up as girls, or that the big bad wolf was the original bad boy??
The show features Brendan van Rhyn as Cathy (piggy number 1), Rudi Jansen as Molly (piggy number 2), Christopher Dudgeon as Holly (piggy number 3) and Sean John Louw as the big, bad wolf. Expect to witness the Gate69 Trolley Dollies “hamming it up” in pursuit of a fairy tale ending with a twist…
[PHOTO CREDIT: Pat Bromilow-Downing]
For those who have not yet paid Gate69 a visit… you’re missing out. Situated on the corner of Hout & Bree St in Cape Town’s CBD, Gate69 is a plush, one-of-a-kind, intimate cabaret theatre space that’s been rated by TripAdvisor as the number 1 theatre experience in the Mother City. If you’re looking for a seriously fun night out, you definitely don’t need to look any further.
Keen to check it out? Then take note of the following need-to-knows:
- The Three Little pigs will be running right through Spring into the 2018 festive season.
- Performances run from Wednesdays to Saturdays at 20:15, with a recommended arrival time of 18:30 to allow time to mingle and enjoy a pre-drink at the bar.
- Tickets cost R500-R595 per person and includes the show ticket and a tasty gourmet tapas offering.
- Bookings can be made via their website, www.gate69.co.za or by calling 021-0351627.
- There is an age restriction of 18 yrs.
Please do go and check it out. You’ll love it as much as I did, I’m certain of it. 🙂