A couple of weeks ago I joined the guys (and girls) from Sense of Taste Chef School for the launch of an exciting new #CookLikeALocal interactive cooking experience presented by celebrity chefs Peter Ayub and Sue-Ann Allen.
Being pretty useless in the kitchen I knew I needed this course… but also having done a previous course with them a couple of years back and knowing how much fun they are, it was also a very easy hell yes! from my side.
On the cards for the evening: A 4 course South African inspired menu (prepared partly by yourself) paired with delicious wines while Peter & Sue-Ann share some of their top cooking tips.
The format is very relaxed. As guests, you learn by watching the chefs prepare the various courses, all the while sharing their knowledge about fresh produce and food preparation with you, then you get an opportunity to replicate parts of each dish at your very own cooking station. Each dish is then enjoyed at a large communal dining table where you can enjoy a glass of wine, a beer or even some gin.
- First Course:
West Coast Black Mussels
cape malay curry, charred corn, leek, foraged chickweed
- Second Course:
peppered strawberry salad with balsamic mayonnaise, olive oil
- Third Course:
Story of Pork
trotter and bone marrow tomato bredie, sous vide pork cheek, biltong dusted braaied pork fillet and a rich pork and apricot jus
- Fourth Course:
Butternut and Inkomazi Brule’
rooibos crumble, cinnamon tuille, brandy cream, berry jelly, cape gooseberries
We got our hands dirty with courses 1 – 3 and then could sit back & relax while course 4 was fully prepared for us. I was quite chuffed with how my attempts turned out, particularly considering how limited my cooking skills are. But it really was all thanks to the expert (and patient) guidance from chefs Peter, Sue-Ann, Byron and the rest of the team. They really do create a fun, relaxed environment where all your cooking stresses simply melt away…
And the beautiful fourth course, skillfully prepared by the Sense of Taste team:
Keen to try it out for yourself? Then take note of all the need-to-know details below:
- When? Tuesdays (however they are currently fully booked until 8th of Jan 2019)
- Time? Arrival time is 16h30 for 17h00 and the evening will end around 20h30 / 21h00
- Cost? R900.00 pp which includes cooking demonstrations, advice and guidance from Peter and Sue-Ann, a four course meal, all drinks and your apron to take away with you at the end of the evening
- How big is the group? Min of 12 ppl, max of 16
- Special dietary requirements? Just let them know before hand so they can work around it
- How to book? Contact Debbie on +27 82 337 6240 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address? Coronation Court, Cnr. of Coronation Street and Van Wyk Street, Maitland