So I always knew weddings were a big thing… But what I didn’t realise is that it doesn’t just have to end with your big day… You can also walk away with some pretty kick-ass prizes if you happen to snag the coveted title of Bride of the Year. (nice way to recoup some of those wedding expenses hey)
I was recently introduced to the cutthroat world of bridal competition when the guys at SAWeddings.co.za invited me to attend their Bride of the Year 2014 grand finale. OK so it was far less hair-pulling & extreme competitiveness, and more of a celebration of love & life-long happiness, but in my mind I’d like to think that these ladies definitely put their best game faces on.
All the action went down at the beautiful The Bay Hotel in Camps Bay, and in true wedding style, the reception was super pretty:
Well the SA Weddings Bride of the Year competition is an annual event that sees thousands of brides entering from all over SA. Over the year a monthly finalist is crowned in the form of a Mrs January, Mrs February, and so forth – determined based on public votes. Then these ladies get to battle it out in front of a judging panel which this year consisted of Roxy Louw, Tracey Lange, Calvin Petersen, Thoki Tafeni, and Juana Parathyras, for the chance to walk away with a string of incredible prizes.
Judging criteria covers the dress, overall look, interaction with their hubbies, and general vivaciousness. So it’s all about bringing maximum personality & shine.
Competition was tough, with so many worthy ladies up on that stage, but in the end there can only be one winner… And that lady was: Mrs July – Vicky Louw!Vicky’s total prize package is really quite something. She walked away with ALL of the following:
- A R20 000 cash prize
- A holiday to Ambre, Mauritius valued at R70 000 courtesy of Air Mauritius and World Leisure Holidays
- Diamond earrings worth R11 000 from Gerhard Moolman Jewellers
- Complimentary Good Fellas services for the duration of a year
- Complimentary training at Adventure Boot Camp for the duration of a year
- Complimentary movies from Nu Metro for the duration of a year
- Ina Paarman hamper
- GHD hamper
- R5000 ClipinHair hamper
- Buchu Life Hamper
- Youghazi Fragrance hamper for winning bride and groom
- Beauty product hamper from Orange Grove Farm
- Weekend Tea Collection hamper from The Tea Chest worth R 1349
- Wooden wall Muriel from I am Green worth R10 000
- Egyptian cotton duvet set from Makoti
- Custom-made Infinity Dress from Infinity Dress SA
- R2000 voucher from Linen Drawer
- Limited edition, hand-made scarf from Mrs Knitwear
- Ring for winning groom from VA Tungsten worth R1300
- Beer Bird Grid, Beer Bird Meat Loaf Pan
- Shaving brush and soap for winning groom from Sharp Edge
- Bottle of Lanique spirit liqueur
Now any bride-to-be reading this and not thinking about entering the 2015 Bride of the Year competition is crazy… just crazy I tell you… I mean I don’t even have a boyfriend and I’m willing to pay someone to marry me just to be in the running… 😉
If you’re interested in getting in on the action, act fast because the 2015 entries have already opened. Any bride getting married in 2015 should register on SA Weddings today to stand the best possible chance in securing their spot in next year’s BOTY finale.
As for the rest of us… Well at least we got to enjoy a fabulous night out with some fabulous people, and that’s still totally awesome in my book.I have to say a big thank you to SA Weddings for including me in this decadent evening of bridal celebration. Now the question is: Who will we see up there next year?