I missed it the last time I was in Paris, but this time round, it was number 1 on my agenda: a visit to Ladurée on the luxurious Champs-Elysees to buy some of their world famous macarons (also commonly referred to as macaroons – whatever you prefer, I don’t get all fussy about it).
I must say, I was really surprised by two things:
- They allowed me to take as many pics as my heart desired. Woohoo! I had heard from several people that they had a “no photographs” policy. So not sure what happened to that, but I certainly wasn’t complaining.
- They do a whole lot more than just macarons people. Anything your sugar-craving-heart desires, it’s all there. PLUS they also have a champagne & wine bar, which I was extra excited about.
Now, let me share the opulence with you:
- This is inside the store:
Pretty fancy hey…
- This is the champagne & wine bar (which is equally fancy btw):
- And this was my purchase:
Now the final verdict… yes, their macarons are amazing. And I’m really, really, really glad I finally got to sample them. But strangely, I would still rate my beloved Cassis macarons as my absolute favourite. And an added plus point is that they don’t come at the hefty Ladurée price tag (a box of 8 cost me 14.50 euros – that’s about R200 for the 8), #ouch.
But definitely a must see if you’re visiting Paris. Hefty price tag or not.