I mean what’s better than watching one of your favourite movies under the stars? Not much I tell you, not much…
Presented by Savanna, The Galileo is back for another jam-packed season. With a line-up of over 100 movies, an addition of some new venues, and some special evenings planned for both the romantics and those with little ones, this is an experience not to be missed.
I joined them for their season opening last Wednesday where we watched the 1988 classic “Cocktail” with the pre-couch jumping 80s/90s hotness that was Tom Cruise (even with poofy hair, that man was bloody sexy, that’s all I’m sayin’), and it was such a fun evening out.
For this season, they’re adding Friday night screenings into the mix at selected venues across the city (The Palms, Central Park, Fedisa Rooftop, Meerendal Wine Estate and UCT), they’ve also added some new food & drink vendors, as well as a VIP section with premium seasoning, a blanket and backrest, popcorn, sweets, a Savanna and a box of Chocolat Frey.
As for the other venues, all your favourites are still there:
- Tuesday nights: Hillcrest Quarry in Durbanville
- Wednesday nights: Kirstenbosch Gardens
- Thursday nights: Croquet Lawn above the Ulundi parking lot in the V&A Waterfront
- NEW Friday nights: rotating venues (as per above)
- SELECT Saturdays: Cape winelands venues
Doors open at 6pm and the movie kicks off at sunset. Get there early though to get a good spot on the lawn and also to grab something to eat:Ticket prices are also super easy on the pocket, with various options available depending on how fancy you want to get:
- Standard: R79
- Warm: R87 (plus blanket)
- Comfy: R95 (plus backrest)
- Warm & comfy: R100 (plus blanket and backrest)
- VIP: R149 (Reserved premium seating, Savanna, box of Chocolat Frey, popcorn & sweets, blanket, backrest)
I usually opt for a backrest, just because they really do make things more comfy AND they protect you a little more in the event it’s windy.
Wanna join them for the next one? Then hop on over to www.thegalileo.co.za to see what’s on & to book your tickets. The season runs all the way through to the end of April 2016, so you’ll have plenty of time to work your way through all the venues if you want.
Also start planning for Valentine’s day now & book their Valentine’s Day Package:
- Date: Sunday, 14th February 2016
- Venue: Nooitgedacht Wine Estate
- Address: R304 between Stellenbosch and the N1
- Doors open: 6pm
- Movie starts: 8pm
- Movie: Casablanca
- Cost: R190
- Includes: Chair, blanket, live music, movie, welcome drink and chocolate gift.
These are hot seats that sell out fast, so book ASAP people.And to help all the parents over the December holidays, they’ve also got some family movies to keep the little ones entertained:
- 15 December: The Lion King at Hillcrest Quarry
- 16 December: E.T. at Kirstenbosch
- 22 December: Home Alone at the Hillcrest Quarry
- 25 December: Miracle on 34th Street at Meerendal Wine Estate
- 30 December: Toy Story at Kirstenbosch
- 2 January: Back to the Future at Warwick Wine Estate
- 5 January: Finding Nemo at Hillcrest Quarry
I’ve already made my list of “must-see movies”, and it’s a looooong one. So I’m looking forward to a lot of evenings under the stars. #BringOnSummer