Every year, WWF SASSI awards the title of “Trailblazer” to chefs that have proven their commitment to only making use of sustainable seafood.
Why is this important? Because our ocean resources are at risk & therefore it’s important for each and every one of us to be extra careful about the food choices we make.
This year, they celebrated 6 chefs from the Western Cape at an event which took place at the Harbour House at the V&A Waterfront.
How were these chefs selected as Trailblazers? A couple of things were considered, including:
- The restaurant’s seafood sustainability policy.
- The effectiveness of the communication of their seafood sustainability practices to customers, employees & suppliers.
- Level of engagement in communicating their seafood sustainability practices to a wider audience.
- And then finally the “Trailblazer factor”, i.e. going the extra mile in promoting and supporting seafood sustainability.
So without further delay, the 2019 WWF SASSI Trailblazers are:
- Carolize Coetzee, Tokara Restaurant (Stellenbosch)
- Gustaaf Boshoff, The Green Goose Eatery (Stellenbosch)
- Guy Bennett, Gigi Rooftop (Cape Town)
- Kyle Knight, The Shop (Cape Town
- Matt Manning, Grub & Vine (Cape Town)
- Nicole Loubser, GÅTE (Stellenbosch)
So yeah, please do give these 6 chefs your love by supporting their beautiful restaurants & ensuring that we all promote sustainable seafood consumption.
To the chefs: Well done! And here’s to rockin’ the sustainable seafood scene for many more years to come. 🙂