As life is starting to look & feel a little more “normal”, it’s so awesome to see events and activities that I love return to the Mother City… Case in point the 10th summer season of The Galileo Open Air Cinema.
This season they’re featuring more than 100 movie screenings on their lineup across multiple drop-dead gorgeous venues in and around Cape Town and I am beyond happy about it.
Season 10 will run until 24 April 2022 and once again promises something for everybody, from blockbuster hits, family favouites & rom-coms to musicals and adventure.
PLUS – there are so many venues to pick from: Kirstenbosch Gardens, Battery Park in the V&A Waterfront, Central Park in Century City, Meerendal Wine Estate in Durbanville, and a selection of carefully curated estates across Somerset West, Stellenbosch, Franschhoek & Paarl.
They’ve also launched a new Royale option available at alternating venues, Radisson Blu Waterfront and Beau Constantia Wine Estate, on the first Wednesday of each month. The Royale option includes a welcome drink, canapé, popcorn, backrest & blanket, as well as a gift upon arrival AND an hour long live music performance, all for only R290 pp.
Need to knows:
- Doors open at 6PM on Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays and 5PM on Saturdays.
- The movie begins as soon as the sun sets.
- Arrive early, find a good spot on the lawn & enjoy a pre-movie bite from one of the tempting food vendors.
View their full movie schedule online & then simply pick your open air movie style:
- Standard: R109 (entry only)
- Warm: R117 (plus blanket)
- Comfy: R125 (plus backrest)
- Warm & comfy: R130 (plus blanket and backrest)
- VIP: R195 (Reserved premium seating, blanket, backrest, including drink, popcorn and chocolate)
My recommendation? That backrest is a must. So it would be comfy (or up) for me.
There are also a few special screenings to take note of:
- Halloween: 31 October 2021 – The Ring (Kirstenbosch)
- Christmas: 25 December 2021 – Home Alone (Kirstenbosch)
- Boxing Day: 26 December 2021 – Elf (Kirstenbosch)
- Valentine’s Day: 14 February 2022 (Nooitgedacht Wine Estate)
- Easter: 17 April 2022 (Meerendal Wine Estate)
So yeah, what are you waiting for!? 😉 This is a great option for a friends or family night out, a romantic date night, or really just an excuse to get out of the house. A night under the stars awaits my friends… be sure to take full advantage of it.
NB to note: The Galileo movies and venues are subject to change due to changes in weather and/or Covid regulations.