Love the ballet? Obsessed a good romantic story line? Need a bit of culture in your life?
Running until the 4th of October, Giselle is a captivating tale of a young peasant girl who dies of a broken heart and then returns as a supernatural spirit to protect her lover.
It’s considered as one of the ultimate romantic ballets and has been a huge hit with audiences since it’s first premiere in Paris back in 1841.
This particular production is produced by Elizabeth Triegaardt and the original costume design is by Peter Cazalet.
All but two of the performances in the Artscape Opera House will be accompanied by the Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Graham Scott.
And on stage you’ll be able to see one of the world’s foremost dance partnerships, Hikaru Kobayashi and Federico Bonelli all the way from the Royal Ballet in London in the lead roles of Giselle and Albrecht at two of the performances.
For the other performances, Cape Town City Ballet’s Laura Bösenberg and Angela Hansford will alternate as Giselle and Thomas Thorne and Daniel Szybkowski as Albrecht. Claire Spector and Jesse Milligan will also debut in these roles at 2 performances.
Tickets range from R100-R300 are available through Computicket over here or at Artscape Dial-A-Seat on 021 421 7695.
And if you’d like to see a specific set of dancers, do have a look at the performance schedule over here (just be mindful that this is show business folks and things may change at the last minute – not that I think that’ll impact your evening in any way, as all of these dancers are incredible):
- Fri 25 Sept @ 19h30 – Hikaru Kobayashi and Federico Bonelli
- Sat 26 Sept @ 14h00 (no orchestra) – Angela Hansford and Daniel Szybkowski
- Sat 26 Sept @ 19h30 (no orchestra) – Laura Bösenberg and Thomas Thorne
- Sun 27 Sept @ 15h00 – Hikaru Kobayashi and Federico Bonelli
- Wed 30 Sept @ 19h30 – Laura Bösenberg and Thomas Thorne
- Fri 2 Oct @ 19h30 – Claire Spector and Jesse Milligan
- Sat 3 Oct @ 14h00 – Laura Bösenberg and Thomas Thorne
- Sat 3 Oct @ 19h30 – Angela Hansford and Daniel Szybkowski
- Sun 4 Oct @ 15h00 – Claire Spector and Jesse Milligan
I’m going to be attending the opening night on Friday evening and I’m very excited. This is a ballet I haven’t had the pleasure of seeing before, and who doesn’t love a good love story hey? (also there will be hot guys in tight pants) #NeedISayMore
Hopefully I’ll see you guys there!