A Cape Town summer must is definitely a movie under the stars with The Galileo Open Air Cinema. And with movies happening throughout the week across various different venues, you really are spoilt for choice.
As far as the venues go, my personal favourite is still Kirstenbosch Gardens, that said I haven’t yet tried all the wine estates & rotating city venues. Currently the venue setup is as follows:
- TUESDAYS: Bloemendal Wine Estate, Durbanville
- WEDNESDAYS: Kirstenbosch Gardens, Newlands
- THURSDAYS: V&A Waterfront, Foreshore
- FRIDAYS: Various rotating venues, Cape Town
- SELECT SATURDAYS: Various wine estates, Cape Winelands
- SELECT FAMILY SUNDAYS: Kelvin Grove Club, Newlands
The movies are a mix of old classics and new favourites with lots of kid-friendly options thrown into the mix too. You can heck out their full movie schedule over here. I have my eye on quite a few movies already, but Dirty Dancing on 18 Jan (V&A Waterfront) or 3 Apr (Bloemendal Wine Estate) immediately popped out at me. I mean seriously, you can never get enough of Patrick Swayze in his prime. 😉
Valentine’s day tip: You can watch the movie Valentine’s Day on Valentine’s day on Nooitgedaght Wine Estate, but you better hurry up – they already only have the following option left:
Valentine’s Special (Entry+Backrest+Blanket+Drink+Sweet Treat) @ R225
General things you need to know:
- Season ends end April 2018
- Doors open at 6pm (5pm Sat & 4pm Sun) & movie kicks off at sunset
- There are a couple of market stalls where you can buy food & drinks – so it’s good to arrive early to enjoy a bite and a sundowner
- Cancellations due to weather – check out section 3 over here
- Tickets are available via Webtickets over here. Your options are as follows:
– Standard (movie only): R89
– Warm (includes blanket): R97
– Comfy (includes backrest): R105
– Warm & Comfy (includes blanket & backrest): R110
– VIP (includes reserved premium seating, popcorn, a Coke & Frey chocolate): R175 – but these need to be booked at least 24 hrs in advance.
– Snuggle: Includes entry for two, 2 x blankets, 2 x Frey chocolate slabs, pillow, mattress and area to lie down and cuddle in a reserved area in front of the screen for only R320 per couple. Only 8 couples per show, book in advance (not available at Fedisa Rooftop).
* You can try it and purchase at the door, it’s just slightly more expensive and there’s no guarantee that there will still be tickets available. So online is definitely advisable.
My recommendation would be go for the Comfy option. That backrest is a must and it’s easy enough to bring your own blanket. That’s of course unless you want to splurge on a VIP or Snuggle seat. Any way you go though this is such a fun experience and a great outing with friends, family or that special someone. So book those tickets now!xxx