One of my favourite things to do during the summer months is an open air movie in a beautiful setting. Enter The Galileo Open Air Cinema!
For their 8th season they’ve put together a jam-packed line-up featuring 117 of the greatest movies of all time showing at some of the most gorgeous venues in SA… From the lush Kirstenbosh Gardens (my personal favourite), to trendy locations like the all-new Battery Park in the V&A and Central Park in Century city, as well as a great selection of wine farms, The Galileo Open Air Cinema ensures that you’ll have the most unforgettable backdrop to your movie of choice.
This is what this year’s schedule looks like:
- Wednesdays & Thursdays @ Kirstenbosch Gardens.
- Fridays – rotating venues: Central Park (Century City), Battery Park (V&A Waterfront), Steenberg Farm (Tokai) & Meerdendal Wine Estate (Durbanville).
- Saturdays – rotating winelands venues: Plaisir De Merle Wine Estate, Dornier Wine Estate, Nederburg Wine Farm, Blaauwklippen Wine Estate, Simonsvlei Winery, Boschendal Wine Estate, Franchhoek Cellar, Stellenbosh Vineyards, Rhebokskloof Wine Estate, La Paris Estate, Vergenoegd Wine Estate, Lourensford Wine Estate, Vredenheim Wine Estate, Under Oaks Wine Estate, Leopard’s Leap Wine Estate, Warwick Wine Estate & Weltevreden Wine Estate.
- Sundays (during December school holidays only) @ Kelvin Grove in Newlands for movies specifically suited for the little ones.
Check out the full movie schedule over here.
Then they also have some special screenings:
- Christmas: The movie – How the Grinch stole Christmas. Wed, 25 Dec @ Kirstenbosch Gardens.
- Valentine’s Day: The movie – About Time. Fri, 14 Feb @ Nooitgedacht Wine Estate.
- Easter: The movie – Wonder Park. Sun, 12 Apr @ Meerdendal Wine Estate.
Of course a movie under the stars also calls for good food & drinks. If you don’t feel like doing your own picnic basket of treats, you can simply relax and enjoy something delicious from the mini-market of food stalls available at each venue.
Giant lawn games also help to pass the time while waiting for the sun to set & the movie to start.
Other notable mentions to look out for in Season 8: The first ever classic Bollywood movie and The Galileo’s annual CSI project where they treat 300 local heroes as nominated by the public to an awesome evening out during The Galileo’s birthday week.
Doors open at 6pm on weekdays, 5pm on Saturdays and 4pm on Sundays, giving you ample time to settle in & enjoy the open air movie vibe, and then the movie always starts once the sun sets.
Ticket prices for the season are as follows:
- Standard: R109 (entry only)
- Warm: R117 (plus blanket)
- Comfy: R125 (plus backrest)
- Warm & comfy: R130 (plus blanket and backrest)
- VIP: R195 (Reserved premium seating, blanket, backrest, Coke and a Frey chocolate slab)
- Snuggle: R360 per couple (front row mattress, 2 blankets, 2 pillows and Frey chocolates)
- Special screenings: Christmas, Valentine’s and Easter – Ticket prices vary
I always recommend going for the comfy option – that backrest is an absolute must because you can’t take your own chair (as this would ruin the view for those behind you), and the backrest offers a far more comfortable option than winging it without being able to lean back mid-movie.
If you’re pressed for time & can’t get there early to secure a good spot or you simply feel like splurging a little, the VIP & Snuggle options are also great choices.
Booking is super easy & done online via The Galileo Open Air Cinema website. But if there’s a particular movie you simply have to see, don’t delay, get your tickets now. The same goes for the special screenings which are bound to sell out super fast. So plan ahead people.
Last few tips: Even though it is summer, don’t forget to take along something warm. You’ll be surprised at how chilly it can still get once the sun sets. If it rains or is too windy, they do have a backup indoor venue (the ZipZap Dome), or they may decide to cancel – but you’ll be informed via email/SMS about how to claim your refund or exchange your ticket for another night.
Right, that’s all you need to know. All that’s left now is for you to simply book & enjoy! 🙂